S-Miles Across America – Chapter Seven – Special Delivery, Obamassiah and Flying Home

AAA – The American Automobile Association saved not only the day, and not just my trip, but quite possibly, a radical shift in the direction of my life.  You see, I was traveling with an open mind and a willingness to see where my dream of traveling across the country would take me.  If I found a better job and place to live, or if fate would give me a “Grand Strand” in, say South Carolina, well then I was ready to take it with a smile like “a day at the beach.”  However, fate did not leave me stranded . . ..

Two weeks earlier, on June 4th, I spoke with Kay at the Bellevue, Washington, AAA branch about this special delivery I was making.  Kay graciously listened to me as I boasted about having the opportunity to ride a motorcycle across the United States.  After telling her the preliminary route that I was intending to travel, and asking for the appropriate maps, she strongly recommended that I consider their RV Roadside Assistance Insurance Package just in case I might need a flat-bed tow truck along the way.  She then provided me with a half-dozen maps for my travels and wished me well.

The insurance that Kay provided paid off in multiple ways along my “S-Miles Across America,” but none as much as the lift I got from the AAA flat-bed after the bike broke down with major electrical issues.  The driver picked me up at Myrtle Beach and dropped me off at the nearest Kawasaki shop.

While I waited for Redline Powersports to open, I took the battery two doors down to the Auto Zone for testing.  It was dead, alright.  So, I bought a new battery, checked the bike into the shop when it opened, and headed for the beach while I waited.

I received a phone call from Auto Zone.  The new battery was fully charged in eight hours instead of the twenty-four which they had previously told me would be required.  I dusted off the fine Myrtle Beach sand from my feet, slipped on my running shoes, and started off toward the Kawasaki shop.  My only concern was that I didn’t remember any services along the way.  I knew that I would be in need of at least three water stops and/or bathroom breaks between Myrtle Beach and Conway.

I’d run a dozen marathons in my life and was sure that I could do these 14 miles in time before the shops close.  But just in case I couldn’t, I went back into the Golden Villa Motel.  Lennie, (same guy who turned me away the night before) was at the desk again.  I asked him for a permanent marker, and he kindly provided one from the jar on the counter.  I walked over to a solid surface away from the front desk, took off my shirt and drew a large hitchhikes’ thumb on the back of the white tank-top with “CONWAY” written in large block letters above it.

Lennie raised his eyebrow as I thanked him and jogged away from the dusty Golden Villa toward Conway, South Carolina.

Three miles into a good sweat, a nineteen-seventy-something Datsun pulled in front of me.  The large black teen in the passenger seat asked out his lowered window, “Need a lift?”  I asked him and his friend where they were heading and they weren’t quite sure.  “Mom let us take the car, so we’re just cruisin’ around.”  “Well, now we all got somethin’ to smile about!,” I said.

Mike, the young driver, couldn’t have been a day over seventeen.  His grin revealed yellow, stained teeth that made him look like he’d been drinking thick coffee and smokin’ cigarettes for twenty years.  There was a faint smell of a freshly smoked joint, but with the hot and dense breeze pushing through the opened windows, it was hard to tell if it was coming from inside or out.  Mike asked where I was headed.  I told him the short answer, “The Kawasaki shop up the road” and it turned into the long answer of my Seattle to DC trip via “the south.”

Looking back, I realize that I didn’t ask these two kids what makes them smile or ask for their contact information.  I would love to send them a token of my appreciation for the lift, but guess they’ll have to wait for karma.

After the ZRX was buttoned back up and reloaded, I took the quickest route north toward my destination.  This was a bit of a let down because I’d hoped to visit a fellow Keller Williams realtor in Wilmington, North Carolina, but I had quite a bit of time to make up.

Lightning began to dance a quick-step around me as I headed north on I-95 near Fayetteville and through Benson, North Carolina.  I pulled under a shelter at a gas station and watched the sky like it was the fourth of July.  When it was safe to continue, I rode until dusk, hoping to find a safe and dry place to pitch the tent.  I made my way into the city of Raleigh.  The clouds were clearing but the ground was drenched.  No dice for camping.

Raleigh, North Carolina

I found another Quality Inn near what I call,  “Tobacco Town.”  There were signs everywhere for the JR Tobacco Outlets.  Since camping was not an option in the summer storm which was being dealt, I looked forward to the “all-you-can-eat” breakfast bar at the Quality Inn.  After breakfast, it was tempting to stop in for some cheap smokes, but I reminded myself, “I’m trying to quit.”

The weather had cleared nicely as I thoroughly enjoyed the last couple of hours on this incredibly powerful and comfortable motorcycle.  It’s hard to believe that with two weeks behind me, my behind wasn’t bothering me more.  I started to wish my trip could continue on . . ..

I arrived at my destination, Carne and Lindsay’s home, as they had just returned from church.  It was Father’s Day and after saying “Hello,” we enjoyed a king’s feast poolside with Lindsay’s side of the family.

Livingstons on the East Coast

When we returned to their house later that evening, we made arrangements for my flight home.  I really didn’t want to leave without taking a little time to see some historical sites.  It felt odd to ask, but Carne said “yes” to letting me borrow his motorcycle so I could ride over to the National Mall in the morning.

When I woke, I straddled the ZRX without any baggage.  I headed out into the Monday morning rush and nimbly weaved in and out of the clogged Washington arteries.  When I found my way to the Mall, I parked in a rare “free-zone” that only motorcycles could get away with.  For the next couple of hours, I wandered from statue to statue, reading about the civil war, its heroes and other battles.  Then I stood in amazement at the Lincoln Memorial.

In the middle of the day at the National Mall, the perimeter of the White House was pushed back as Obama was “on the move.”  Being disappointed that I couldn’t get closer to the President’s home, I began to make my way toward the U.S. Capitol.  I walked to the corner of Constitution Avenue and 15th Street.  All of the traffic, foot and otherwise, was halted as the Obamassiah made his way through.

In just a couple of hours, I saw enough to realize that it should take one a week to visit DC.

Later that night, Carne and Lindsay took me to a delightful dinner at P.F. Chang’s in Annapolis, Maryland.  After our meal, I was given an executive tour of the Naval Station and of the beautiful little harbor town of Annapolis.  I was in awe of my surroundings and thought for a moment how I would love to stay.

Chesapeake Bay at Annapolis, Maryland

I reached into my pocket, pulled out a little rock that I’d been carrying for two weeks, and baptized it once more, this time in the Chesapeake Bay.  I thought of Carrie and smiled, knowing that I would see her in twenty-four hours.

Monday morning, June 21st, at thirty-thousand feet, a smile once again came across my face.  Hidden behind it was an overwhelming sense of accomplishment mixed with a deep-seated desire to continue exploring.  I longed to continue meeting people from other parts of America to ask them, “What makes you smile?”  I don’t intend to stop.

In today’s state of our union, even with trouble, there is something magical about the human spirit and the American soul which lights up when you think about your own passion, especially when you boldly share it with others.

After reading about this one man’s experience of “S-Miles Across America,” please consider this:  While smiles are free, they may very well be the richest blessing that you can bestow on another.

To Carrie, Carne, and Mike Livingston; to all the others who made this trip possible; and, to the many people who answered my question,  THANK YOU!  . . .  Thanks for taking a minute to share your smile.  It means the world to me.

God bless all the smiles across America!

This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

4 Responses to S-Miles Across America – Chapter Seven – Special Delivery, Obamassiah and Flying Home

  1. Joe and Sharon Wylie says:

    David, I cannot share how much I enjoyed your story of your trip across our USA. You are a great writer, and I hope to hear more of how this trip affected you personally. Thanks, Sharon

  2. Mike L says:

    Great story, Dave! I’m glad I got to share in its inception, and enjoy it vicariously as your trip unfolded. I’ve had many motorcycle adventures, and your story captures much of what I love about riding. Keep on ridin’ and smilin’!!

  3. Steve says:

    Dave, Wow! What a wonderful short story. Consider yourself published. I thoroughly enjoyed reading about your trip. Like Mike, I vicariously experienced those s-miles with you. They were all too vibrant a memory for me as I had taken this trip about 8 years ago. I was laid off from Boeing shortly after 9-11. My Dad had retired to Daytona Beach Fl a few years earlier and I had taken to visiting him every March and October. You see, they have a Bike Week in March and a Biktoberfest in Oct. March and Oct are perfect times to visit Florida if you live in Seattle. Kind of a early and late summer vacation. Southwest has really cheap flights to Orlando. Once I got a round trip for $112. It was more expensive to rent a car from Orlando to Daytona. Anyway, being laid off, my buddy and I planned to turn lemons into Margaritas and take this opportunity to circumnavigate the country. South on 5 to San Diego, across AZ NM TX LO and into FL. Up the 95 to Maine (Got 2 lobsters for $14) and back to Boston for the I-90 trek back to the Kingdome via Sturgis. Had the time of my life and met many memorable folks along the way. I plan to take my son on a similar trip as soon as he graduates High School. He’s currently in the 5th grade. God Bless and thanks again for sharing your story. I really felt the miles and smiles from a longing, nostalgic perspective. I will definitely create a photo journal the next time I go. I have, and still intend to put pen to paper to recount all my wonderful memories. Thanks again, reading your words made me smile.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s